Friday, October 27, 2006

Wild Ducks Flying Backward

Author: Tom Robbins

If you've never read anything by Tom Robbins then I pity you. I really do. In fact, this blog was almost entirely devoted to Tom Robbins, and if I didn't have this damn ADD, you'd be reading excerpts from Even Cowgirls Get the Blues rather than my super-sexy reviews right about now.

Mr. Robbins playful prose and liberal useage of metaphor, alliteration and anthropomorphism make reading his work feel like being hit in the head by a giant, goofy metaphysical mallet. You'll laugh out loud occasionally, grin like an idiot the whole time, and occasionally say to yourself: "Gosh, I never thought of it like THAT before..."

This collection of his short writings is a good place to start. It serves as a sort of Tom Robbins "primer". It should be said that not everyone will like this stuff. It's a bit of an acquired taste, much like most of the finer things in life like Guinness and midget wrestling. It should also be said that if you don't like it, you're a big-dumb-stupid-head, nobody likes you and you are going to die alone. Wild Ducks Flying Backwards scores a 13 out of 12. Not possible you say? I say that anything is possible, and it's my blog so I'll do whatever the hell I want.

Score: 13/12 monkeys

No comments: