Friday, October 20, 2006

A Long Way Down

Author: Nick Hornby

Martin, Jess, JJ and Maureen have a problem: They can't kill themselves. Their chance meeting on the roof of a building on new years eve is the "excuse" that all four of them were looking for to not jump. So instead they take the "long way down" ie: the stairs.

If you're looking for sentimentality or weepy, Oprah-style revelations about the gift of life, move along; you're not gonna find 'em here. Hornby never surrenders to the urge to make this one of those goofy new age life affirming books. Instead, he plants us firmly in the heads of four VERY messed up people who struggle with the question: "Okay, I didn't kill myself....Now what the hell am I gonna do?" I know what I'd do, I'd start some fires. But I was gonna' do that anyway.

Score: 8/12 monkeys

No comments: