Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Greatest Line ever uttered on television?

Perhaps the greatest line ever spoken on South Park

Satan isn't as bad as Paris Hilton and her ilk...

I know what you're thinking. Proclaiming something to be the greatest line ever spoken in the history of television is a pretty bold statement. One could make a pretty convincing arguement for classics like M.A.S.H, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld or (insert your favorite TV show here). I'm not here to argue the legitimacy of my claim. I'm here to tell you that I'm right and you're wrong. The above South Park episode "Hell on Earth 2006" contains a line that is so dry, so devious, so dripping with irony and pregnant with sarcasm that I nearly...Nay, I DID soil myself when I first heard it...

"Come on Helen, let's just go back to Hell; I'm suddenly not so hungry for Accura cake."

Taken out of context, it doesn't look like much. Hell, it's not even spoken by any of the show's "main" characters. It just sorta' slides into your subconscious when you first hear it, and sits there like a timed explosive. You might not even laugh until much later, whilst standing in line at the bank perhaps, or stuck in traffic on your way to work. But you WILL laugh, and when the strangers in line with you, or the guys you car pool with look at you like you're smoking crack and ask you what's so funny, they just won't understand and you may have to "take care of them" if you know what I mean. Perhaps I have said too much.

Episode: 8/12 monkeys
The Greatest Line Ever: 12/12 monkeys

No comments: